Oct 23, 2008

Do Not Mail List: Join The Effort to Eliminate Unwanted Junk Mail! | Grow Baby Green

by tara on October 22, 2008

I am person who likes to stay organized. I love reducing clutter and organizing the things I use in an efficient manner. But there is one thing I never seem to be able to stay on top of: Piles and piles of papers. It seems that no matter how often I go through my desk and declutter, piles of unnecessary paper can build up in just a few short days.

As a business owner, I get daily offers for credit cards, legal counsel, software and more. As a mom, I get "free" magazines, catalogs, coupons and newsletters. The vast majority of this stuff just goes directly into the recycling bin. What a waste! Of course there are some catalogs and offers that request, but I would love to not receive most of it. Especially the stuff I never requested.

Forest Ethics, a nonprofit organization devoted to protecting forests and the environment has determined that junk mail contributes 51,548,000 cubic metric tons of greenhouse gases each year. That’s the equivalent of over 9 million passenger cars! As the organization likes to point out, "The average car travels 12,000 miles per year-as opposed to junk mail, which gets us nowhere!" Good point.

If you’re sick of junk mail and want to do something, join Forest Ethics in their effort to create a ‘Do Not Mail’ list, similar to the overwhelmingly popular ‘Do Not Call’ list that protected many family dinners from the dreaded telemarketing call! To support the cause you can sign the petition and post a link on your website! Visit DoNotMail.org for more info on eliminating junk mail.



Do Not Mail List: Join The Effort to Eliminate Unwanted Junk Mail! | Grow Baby Green

No comments: